Bellarmine Jesuit Retreat House is part of the Society of Jesus, commonly called the Jesuits, which is the largest religious order of the Catholic Church and serves in 112 nations on 6 continents. Bellarmine maintains an atmosphere of sacred quiet and on its grounds and buildings. Bellarmine is committed to fostering the spiritual development of Catholics and people of faith through a variety of retreats and contemporary spirituality programs.
The role of the Associate Director is to work for and with the Executive Director, providing a high level of assistance in promoting the mission and ministry of Bellarmine Jesuit Retreat House. The Associate Director will manage the staff and spearhead all special projects regarding events, financial development, planning, and building renovation, and work with the Executive Director to ensure that Bellarmine is a safe environment for all guests and staff.
Specific Duties of the Associate Director:
1. Exercise Leadership of the Staff:
- Hire and manage all personnel (Office, Maintenance, Housekeeping – 15 employees) who do not report directly to the Executive Director; and conduct training, performance evaluations, work allocations, problem resolution, and terminations.
- Manage Foodservice contract and supervise Kitchen Manager.
- Human Resources Management: oversee personnel records, health insurance, pension, and 403b plans, and update and enforce Employee Handbook.
- Foster a respectful and cooperative work environment among employees.
- Develop a culture of learning and growth; provide opportunities for professional development.
- Participate in Virtus Training and make sure all employees are Virtus-trained and current; provide other staff training as needed.
2. Oversee Bellarmine’s contact with the Public:
- Oversee Bellarmine communications, e.g., annual program guide, annual report, and quarterly communication, and manage communications team member.
- Work with Development personnel to create end of year annual appeal materials.
- Plan and facilitate annual volunteer meeting and Youth Ministers’ round table discussion.
3. Execute Administrative Duties:
- Oversee the reservations and all activities related to persons making a retreat, including event management and guest reception.
- Manage vendor contracts, relationships, and effectiveness.
- Ensure conservative fiscal spending in alignment with the budget; spearhead benchmarking.
- Administer Payroll; be responsible for Accounts Payable; oversee all accounting functions.
- Ensure safe and well-maintained facility and grounds and high quality of cleanliness.
- Implement and maintain an emergency response plan.
- Execute additional responsibilities delegated by the Executive Director.
4. Duties with regard to the Board of Directors and Board of Members:
- Engage with the Board and Leadership on Strategic Planning.
- Present the Budget for Operations to the Board annually; provide month-end statements, reports, and KPIs as required by the Board of Directors and Board Finance Committee.
- Attend annual Board of Members meeting and provide budget and additional reports as requested.
5. Duties with regard to the Church and the Society of Jesus:
- Collaborate with Jesuit retreat houses around the country to advance the mission, grow in Ignatian Spirituality, and leverage knowledge and resources.
- Participate in regional and national spirituality leadership meetings.
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
The Building Maintenance Engineer is responsible for overseeing the maintenance of all of Bellarmine’s buildings and property to ensure that Bellarmine is a quiet, comfortable, prayerful, and safe place to visit and work. The facility includes the main retreat house with over 60 guest rooms, two Chapels, residence, cottage, coach house, barn and well house, all on 80 acres. This is a hands-on position ensuring the physical plant and systems are in good working condition. This is a full time, salaried, on-call position and includes both full health benefits and a 403b plan.
Preventative Maintenance, Repairs and Oversight
- Ensures the optimal functioning, regular maintenance and basic repairs of the facility equipment, including but not limited to boilers, HVAC systems, plumbing, water softeners, compressors, wells, elevators, sewerage plant, kitchen equipment, phone system, fire protection system, irrigation system, electrical, security, lighting, audio visual and other mechanical systems.
- Daily and weekly inspection of the facility to identify and complete necessary repairs to ensure retreats are not impacted by repair work.
- Supervise one full time and one part time staff member
- Responsible for grounds and related maintenance and equipment including mowing and snowplowing and coordinating vendor relationships to support this work. Maintenance of autos, tractors, mechanical yard and garden equipment.
- Responsible for procurement of bids from outside services necessary to complete proper maintenance of physical plant and grounds.
- Maintain building supplies as needed and approve vendor invoices.
- Maintain proper records and maintenance schedules
Communication, Collaboration and Planning
- Work closely with internal teams to prepare the retreat house for all retreat groups. Including conference room setups and some custodial work.
- Capital project planning in coordination with Associate Director
- Attend weekly staff meetings, quarterly Board buildings and grounds committee meetings
- Support the efforts of volunteers
- With the Associate Director plan the capital budget spending
- Proactive communication via phone, email and text when necessary with the Associate Director and key staff members when responding to emergency calls
- A minimum 10 years direct related work experience
- Support the work of Jesuits, staff members and volunteers with willing collaboration, support for all our teams, proactive communication, kindness, excellent customer service and a flexible can-do attitude
- Working knowledge of plumbing, HVAC and electrical systems, and OSHA and EPA regulations
- Good basic craftsman capabilities and knowledge
- Ability to read write and speak the English language
- Proficient with email, sending attachments, internet and online calendar
- A valid driver’s license
- Must be able to lift 60 pounds, walk up and down stairs and ladders
- Virtus training and annual background check is required
To apply: Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.